Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Book Review: A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffett

Greetings All,

I have long been a Jimmy Buffett fan, in fact Margaritaville was the first real song I ever learned to play on the guitar.  I have loved the spirit and the stories behind each and every one of his songs.  I was in Half Price Books the other day, perusing the clearance section where you can find hardbacks for a mere $1 and after my exciting find of five Southern Living Annual Cookbooks for a $1 a piece, I ran across something I had never before seen.  A novel by Jimmy Buffett, when I saw it I vaguely remembered something about him writing a book years ago, but I had honestly never paid attention.  My love of Buffett and the lure of it only being $1 caught me and I bought the book.  Buffett is as good of a storyteller in prose as he is in song and I think I have a new favorite book.  Here is my more formal review, but I recommend Buffett to any one be it as a book or as a song!

Your brother in Christ,
Faron

A Salty Piece of Land
by Jimmy Buffett
published in 2004 by the Little, Brown and Company

Summary: Tully Mars, a character from one of Buffett's Margaritaville short stories is back.  He is a Wyoming cowboy whose heart lies in the ocean.  The ranch he has worked all of his life is bought out by one Thelma Barston and turned into a poodle ranch.  Cowboys don't take well to poodles and a quick toss of a massage table through a plate glass window later, Tully is on the lamb, headed beachward with his trusty horse Mr. Twain.  This begins a journey towards a lighthouse on Caya Loco that involves fishing guides, country music singers, ex-girlfriends, bounty hunters, shaman and an eccentric 102 year old woman named Cleopatra who is the captain of a classic schooner named Lucretia.  She travels the oceans of the world in pursuit of adventure and a light for her recently acquired lighthouse on Caya Loco.  It is a journey that carries you through the Caribbean and Central America and connects you with some of the most genuine and compelling characters you will have read in a while.

Review: I can't tell you the last time, if ever that I have been on the verge of tears when finishing a book but that was truly the case with this one.  Buffett has weaved a fictional masterpiece with characters that have depth and wisdom, humor and hope; with a compelling storyline that draws you in and makes you want to be part of the story, with a pace that makes you want to keep reading.  I think I have a new favorite book and it has made me want to read everything else Buffett has written, which it turns out is quite a bit.  The book is well researched, but equally well connected with what is I think the life that Jimmy Buffett has lived.  It is a book rooted in a love and passion for the ocean, for lighthouses, for fishing and for the tranquil moments of life that can only be found in the company of dear friends. 

Reading Recommendation: Absolutely Yes, Yes, Yes!!!  And when you are finished look up the song A Salty Piece of Land and listen to it!


No comments:

Post a Comment