Monday, July 12, 2010

Recipe: Sexual Delight

Sexual Delight


Yes, that is the name of this recipe and no, it is not an aphrodisiac! It is actually a very yummy salad dressing recipe that my best friend's wife shared with me that has developed a life and story of its own. I have a group of pastor buddies I get together with a couple of times a year. We call ourselves "The Delinquents," but really they are some of the best people you could ever know who have a deep and abiding love for Jesus and a passion to share His love and grace with the world. When we get together there are a couple of us who really love to cook and so at our last retreat it was my opportunity to dazzle them with my culinary skills. My entree' choice was catfish broiled in a garlic, butter, lemon sauce stuffed with crawfish ettouffee served on a bed of rice, but I opted to start with a salad and to make what I had historically called "Jodi's Yummy Dressing." While they enjoyed the Cajun food, the dressing became the hit of the evening! It is a sweet and sour dressing with just the perfect portions of each. As one of my buddies was eating he commented, "this dressing is incredible; it is like better than sex or something; it needs a name like 'sexual delight' or something." Need I say more, clearly that is the perfect name. Granted you will have to take my word for it until you make it and try it, but it really is that good and the fact that it was named by a pastor just adds that much more irony to the name. Now whenever we gather Sexual Delight has become a staple for our salad and the story behind its name is always good for at least two laughs and a chuckle.

Here is the recipe, enjoy:

Sexual Delight

• 1 onion, thinly sliced (red onion makes a better presentation)
• 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
• 1 tsp. celery seed
• 1 tsp. salt
• 3 tsp. of regular yellow mustard
• 2/3 cup sugar (2/3 cup of Splenda can be substituted for diabetics)
• 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
• 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar

Mix the ingredients and chill. It goes very well with a bed of mixed greens, freshly fried bacon, boiled chopped eggs, Mandarin oranges and raisins.

No comments:

Post a Comment