Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Book Review: Wisdom Chaser by Nathan Foster

Wisdom Chaser: Finding My Father at 14,000 Feet
by Nathan Foster
Published in 2010 by Intervarsity Press

Summary: Nathan Foster is the son of Richard J. Foster, author of Celebration of Discipline.  His dad is perhaps one of the most recognizable modern Christian authors, but his lifestyle and belief system always kept Nathan at arms length.  It was not until Nathan reached young adulthood that he started trying to rebuild a relationship with his father.  They workshop was hiking trails up the sides of Colorado's fourteen thousand foot peaks.  It is on this treks that Nathan begins to gain insight into his father and vice versa as they both pursue these goals of summiting together.  This book is Nathan's recollections of those trips and his revelations after them regarding his father, himself and his future.

Review: This book was a surprise purchase for me.  By surprise I mean it came in the mail from Intervarsity Press because I forgot to decline my monthly selection.  It is a book I never would have purchased for myself, but my laziness about returning things through the mail gave me a sense of guilt that since I paid for it, I should read it.  What a pleasant surprise.  This book is a well written, engaging, passionate account of the rebuilding of this father/son relationship.  It not only gives us a glimpse into Richard's and Nathan's souls, but it also causes us to reflect a little on the condition of ours.  It is basically a memoir, but it clearly has spiritual implications as the reader becomes inspired to work on issues in his own life.  Nathan is following well in his father's writing footsteps, making a first offering that is a superior read.

Reading Recommendation: Yes, read it to get inspired about your relationship with your parents or your relationship with your children.


No comments:

Post a Comment