Monday, October 8, 2012

Book Review: Tales from Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffett

Greetings all,

I have been remiss in my efforts of maintaining this blog as of late.  I am way behind in reviewing the books I have been reading and posting the recipes I have been enjoying and in simply sharing devotional thoughts.  This morning I thought I would try to play a little catch up.

Tales from Margaritaville
by Jimmy Buffett
Published in 1989 by Harcourt Brace Jovanonvich Publishers

Summary and Review: I will start this review with an acknowledgement that this is not a new book, or even a recent book.  It is almost a quarter of a century old, but it is Jimmy Buffett's first book written for adults.  While he had previously written a couple of children's books with his daughter and some non-fiction periodical pieces that were extremely well received this is his first offering to the world of adult literature.  It is not, however, the first Buffett book I have read and it was reading A Salty Piece of Land and my lifetime of listening to his music that fueled my desire to read his first romp of substance into the literary world.  This is not at all like the novel that I first read.  It is basically a collection of short stories some fictional, some rooted in his personal experience and told in the first person.  Tully Mars makes his first appearance here as well as a entire entourage of characters that will warm your heart and create in you a longing to not only here more stories but also to begin to create some of your own.  Many of the stories are about the fictional island Snake Bite Key and the people who live there or grew up there.  We get to read about a high school football championship, a love affair between a young lady and a musician, prodigal sons and uncles returned and a mysterious swamp creature that lives by the golf course.  Much of Buffett's life has been spent in the south and on the road in little juke joints across the map of America and these stories reflect a love and respect for both cultures and the people that inhabit them. 

Reading Recommendations: Yes!  A great romp through a fictional world of characters mixed with some real life Buffett that makes you laugh, smile, and long for a moment of peace and serenity in a world where it is warm and full of adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment