Friday, January 13, 2012

Distinction

Greetings All,

Let's start this morning with Scripture:
NLT Exodus 33:12 Moses said to the LORD, "You have been telling me, 'Take these people up to the Promised Land.' But you haven't told me whom you will send with me. You call me by name and tell me I have found favor with you. 13 Please, if this is really so, show me your intentions so I will understand you more fully and do exactly what you want me to do. Besides, don't forget that this nation is your very own people." 14 And the LORD replied, "I will personally go with you, Moses. I will give you rest-- everything will be fine for you." 15 Then Moses said, "If you don't go with us personally, don't let us move a step from this place. 16 If you don't go with us, how will anyone ever know that your people and I have found favor with you? How else will they know we are special and distinct from all other people on the earth?" 17 And the LORD replied to Moses, "I will indeed do what you have asked, for you have found favor with me, and you are my friend."

This is a passage of scripture that comes after Moses has come down from the mountain to find Israel worshipping the golden calf.  He has gone back up the mountain and found God worn and weary from dealing with this stiff-necked people and He is ready to stop going with them.  Moses has interceded on behalf of Israel and God has decided to stay with them.  This passage is sort of a summary of the chapter as it recounts the conversation between God and Moses.

What strikes me is Moses' question, "How else will the world know that Israel is set apart and distinct from everyone else if the Lord's presence is not with them?"  In a nutshell there is the only thing that makes Israel different.  Not that they are chosen, not that they don't eat bacon, not that they get circumcised or obey purity codes.  The only thing that makes them distinct is God's presence with them!  The other things are just markers, indicators or signs to help identify the fact that God is with them, but what makes them different, special, distinct is the Lord's presence with them.

My question for us today then is simply this, "Isn't it the same for us?  Isn't the presence of God in our lives the only thing that really makes us distinct?  Not our T-shirts, our religious talk, our t-shirts, or praying before a meal in a restaurant; but that peaceful, grace filled, loving presence of the Lord in our lives.  That presence that transforms us and enables us to love the unlovable, to serve the least and the lost, and to put others before ourselves.  Christians are not different because we claim to be Christians; Christians are different when and because the presence of the Lord is with them!  Have we been walking with God today?  Have we felt His presence?  Have others seen Him with us?

Your brother in Christ,
Faron

No comments:

Post a Comment