Thursday, December 8, 2011

Felicity

Good morning all,


This morning my Psalm was the sixteenth and I have been reading it out of the New English Bible translation. Here are the first two verses:
"Keep me, O God, for in thee have I found refuge. I have said to the Yahweh, 'Thou, Lord, art my felicity.'"
The Psalm goes on to affirm God as the fullness of the psalmist's joy and the one who shows him the path of life. The word that jumped out at me this morning was "felicity," I remembered a television show with that name and I had heard it before, but I realized that I didn't know the definition. A quick trip to the Google and I had it. Basically it means "the cause of happiness." The psalmist is saying, "Lord you are the cause of my happiness." What a beautiful way to describe God, the cause of our happiness. We talk about Him as being the source of our joy and hope, but how often do we use that phrase, "Lord you are the cause of my happiness?"

Perhaps there is a bigger question, "Is God the cause of our happiness?" Or even bigger, "Are we happy?" If the answer to either is "no," then we need to ask ourselves, "why aren't we happy?" and "what are we looking for to make us happy?" If we look outside of God for something to cause us to be happy it will fail us every time. Sadly the Christmas season has become such that we are looking to the giving and receiving of commercial gifts as a cause for us to be happy. It may work for a while, but it will always be temporary. The only lasting cause for happiness is God!

Is God your felicity? If not, can you make Him your felicity for today?

Your brother in Christ,
Faron

No comments:

Post a Comment